Common content management systems (CMS) have found their way into companies a long time ago. Web content is generated and published – CMS provide the organization for this. Video content management systems (video CMS) work in the same way, but primarily provide video management. Learn in this article what distinguishes a video CMS and what you should consider when choosing one.
What are content management systems? (CMS)
A content management system is a software that is used to administer text, image or other formats such as videos or entire websites. In general, CMS facilitate the editing, publishing and management of this content and should thus enable authors without in-depth technical knowledge to operate it. The purposes of CMS are very extensive, but a CMS is usually used to run a (public) website or portal. There are no limits to the size and complexity of such a system, which is why CMS can be used for almost any use case – but sometimes with great effort and custom development. One subtype is the so-called video CMS, which will be explained in more detail in the following section.
What are video content management systems (Video-CMS)?
Video content management systems are very similar to classic content management systems in terms of their basic structure. The differentiation takes place in the sense that primarily videos are administered. All requirements are given to convert a multitude of video content into the right format and to make it available in the right context. The uploaded data can be provided with categories as well as subcategories, metadata such as title, description and tags and can be organized in channels or collections such as albums. Monetization features, subscription support, video-on-demand, and live streaming are also possible.
With the help of video CMS, scalable, expandable video platforms can be created, which, similar to conventional CMS, can be used and edited collaboratively by users without any programming knowledge.
What should be considered when choosing the right video CMS?
Companies or organizations that rely heavily on the use of video, both externally and internally, should consider using a video CMS to achieve their own business and marketing goals. However, finding a performant and satisfactory system that is ideally suited for one’s use case is a major challenge. So what should be considered when making a choice?
The most important features that a video CMS provider should provide include:
- 100% control as well as security over your data
- GDPR compliance
- Full flexibility in deployment: managed hosting, cloud hosting and on-premises possible
- Customization of the video platform according to your corporate design
- Intuitive user interface
- Integration with existing infrastructures
- Advanced search of your videos, media and elements
- Integrated analysis and evaluation tools and/or connection to external providers such as Google Analytics or Matomo
- Extensive role and permission management options
- Any format support and file import capabilities from third-party providers such as YouTube
- E-learning extensions for knowledge transfer and knowledge retrieval
- A comprehensive player solution that also allows you to support e.g. 360-degree videos
The solutions of VIMP
VIMP is the solution of your choice, because VIMP fulfills all wishes regarding the functions that a mature video content management system should provide. In addition, VIMP primarily addresses the needs of companies, administrations, universities and colleges. In a nutshell, it looks like this:
- Full control over your data
- Security of your data
- High user numbers
- High resolution videos
- Stable performance
- High-reach online video platform
- Customized extensions
- Integration of video platform into intranet and extranet
- Extensive support via multiple channels
- Regular updates within license
- Extensive documentation and FAQ area, etc.
Every management of a company, a government agency or an educational institution has different expectations regarding the use of a video platform. If the platform is to be integrated into the company’s own IT structure, or is to communicate with it, then this results in demanding requirements.
VIMP has responded to this need by implementing ambitious solutions such as VIMP Enterprise, VIMP Campus and VIMP Ultimate.
If you would like to learn more about VIMP’s solutions and implementation options, please feel free to contact us via our contact form or by phone at +49 (0) 89 1200 1020.
We will be happy to advise you in your search for a suitable video CMS and develop your customized video portal together with you.